*CAUTION: If you are unfamiliar with the function and safe handling of an open bolt firearm, you should seek competent assistance, training and guidance before attempting to fire your AM15 Upper Receiver Conversion Kit.
* Carefully remove all parts from the shipping box. Do not remove them from the plastic packaging until ready to install each part.
FIRE CONTROL ASSEMBLY:
1. Remove .223 upper receiver from M16 lower receiver. Put .223 upper receiver away.
2. Remove all closed bolt M16 lower receiver fire control parts to include (1) hammer and pin, (2) trigger, disconnector and pin, (3) sear and pin, (4) selector. Use caution not to lose the detent and spring for the selector that are installed under the pistol grip. It is not necessary to remove the front or rear take down pivot pins, the magazine catch or the bolt catch.
3. Install TRIGGER (#13) in its standard orientation using the supplied stainless steel TRIGGER PIN (#15).
4. From the left side of the receiver, slide the AM15 SELECTOR (#17) through ONLY the LEFT SIDE of receiver. Do not yet push it all the way through the receiver. Slip the LINK (#18) over end of selector while both are inside the receiver, with the little end up and the long end mating with the pin sticking out of left side of the TRIGGER (#13). With the LINK (#18) captured by the SELECTOR (#17), push the selector though receiver and through right side into its standard installed orientation. Reinstall and tighten the pistol grip to capture the selector spring and detent.
5. Rotate the SELECTOR (#17) to the FIRE position. The SELECTOR (#17) MUST be in fire position to continue the installation.
6. Install the SEAR (#14) using the supplied stainless steel RECEIVER PIN (#16). The sear is correctly orientated with the little hole facing up and the long tail of the spring resting on the small notch in the SELECTOR (#17). The "C" shape of the left side of the SEAR (#14)r will hook under the small extension on the LINK (#18). When correctly installed, the LINK (#18) must be pinned against the left wall of the receiver fire control pocket by the tail of the spring.
7. Install the HAMMER (#12) and the HAMMER SPRING (#12) ensuring that spring tails are resting in the notches in the TRIGGER (#13). Cock the HAMMER (#12) until the HAMMER (#12) is captured under the top front lip of the SEAR (#14). The SEAR (#14) will hold the HAMMER (#12) back in the cocked position. When correctly installed, when you pull the TRIGGER (#12), the SEAR (#14) will rotate and pull the HAMMER (#12) down. Pulling the trigger WILL NOT release the hammer.
Once correctly installed and operation has been confirmed by the HAMMER (#12) being pulled down when the TRIGGER (#13) is pulled, the HAMMER (#12) will always stay connected to the SEAR (#14) even during firing. At no time should the HAMMER (#12) be disconnected from the SEAR (#14) and vertical in the traditional "fired" position.
Note that the Colt Light Machinegun fire control parts require an additional piece on the sear in order to operate with a .223 bolt in the open bolt configuration. The sear provided with the AM15 conversion kit has the holes in the correct positions to accommodate the additional sear piece but it is intentionally not included with the AM15 kit since the AM15 kit does not require the hammer to disconnect from the sear, which is accomplished by the additional sear piece.
You will NOT be able to use a .223 open bolt configuration bolt carrier with the supplied open bolt fire control parts.
CAUTION: If you are unfamiliar with the function and safe handling of an open bolt firearm, you should seek competent assistance, training and guidance before attempting to fire your AM15 Upper Receiver Conversion Kit.
Your AM15 open bolt fire control parts are now installed and you can proceed with the installation of the AM15 Upper Receiver onto your M16 lower..
STEP FOUR provides instructions for the assembly of the AM15 Upper Receiver parts.